Monday, December 23, 2013

**Review ~ The Fiery Heart ~ Richelle Mead**

The Fiery Heart by Richelle Mead
Bloodlines #4
Release Date: November 19, 2013
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance
Source: Purchased in Hardcover
Rating: 5 Worms

Synopsis
Sydney Sage is an Alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of humans and vampires. They protect vampire secrets—and human lives.

In The Indigo Spell, Sydney was torn between the Alchemist way of life and what her heart and gut were telling her to do. And in one breathtaking moment that Richelle Mead fans will never forget, she made a decision that shocked even her. . . .

But the struggle isn't over for Sydney. As she navigates the aftermath of her life-changing decision, she still finds herself pulled in too many directions at once. Her sister Zoe has arrived, and while Sydney longs to grow closer to her, there's still so much she must keep secret. Working with Marcus has changed the way she views the Alchemists, and Sydney must tread a careful path as she harnesses her profound magical ability to undermine the way of life she was raised to defend. Consumed by passion and vengeance, Sydney struggles to keep her secret life under wraps as the threat of exposure—and re-education—looms larger than ever.

Pulses will race throughout this smoldering fourth installment in the New York Timesbestselling Bloodlines series, where no secret is safe.






Richelle Mead delivered another wholly satisfying read. It was intense, exciting, sweet, tender, and shocking. I loved every moment and am eager to read the next book. :) 

There's so much going on in this book but I think my favorite thing about The Fiery Heart is the maturing of the characters that takes place. I admire Sydney more and more with every book. Sydney really has to balance all the elements of her life now that her worlds are colliding with Zoe's arrival. Her feelings for Adrian grow intense and I delighted in watching the continuing evolution of her beliefs about dhampirs and Moroi. Zoe, and the imminent divorce of their parents, prove to be trying for Sydney. She wants to be a sister to Zoe buy finds it difficult when having to deal with Alchemist propaganda - not to mention Sydney's having to hide her new relationship with Adrian. 

Adrian has been undergoing a transformation for awhile but the changes he exhibits in The Fiery Heart were truly remarkable. He is certainly no longer that young man only concerned with his selfish desires. The extent to which he feels for Sydney was on full display. Even Trey and Evangeline, and Eddie and Jill show some maturity by making some headway in changing their thinking on the matters of mixing races.

Another of my favorite aspects of The Fiery Heart? Getting Adrian's POV. Thank you, Ms. Mead, for allowing us inside Adrian's head. I adored getting his side of the story. I already though Adrian was swoon-worthy but he's even more swoon-y now!

I enjoyed watching Sydney's abilities using magic improve, as well as how her opinions of the use of magic change. Adrian, whose cockiness is a way to hide his insecurities, gained some pride and confidence in using Spirit - especially in terms of figuring out possible protections against Strigoi. 

We get glimpses of characters from Vampire Academy and are introduced to new ones as Sydney and company move closer to making discoveries that could be world altering. This portion of the story was exciting and I enjoyed the brief visits with some of my favorite characters from previous books. I love Ms. Mead's ability to tie in characters we know and love in such a seamless way.

That ending was quite a whopper! But I kinda expected it honestly. I loved Sydney's message to Adrian and I'm ever hopeful for these two...


"Centrum Permanebit"


8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, 5 bookworms! My library is taking forever to process this one. Grrh. The "shocking" part worries me because I know Mead is going to mess with me big time with this one, isn't she? No, don't answer. I'm glad you loved it so much. I'm prepared to hate the little sister and to fall more in love with Adrian. I'm so ready for UnPutDownAble!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll just say two things, Robyn. 1) I hope your library gets on the ball! 2) You're gonna love The Fiery Heart!

      Merry Christmas, girl! *hugs*

      Delete
  2. I gave up on VA after book 3. I hit my YA ceiling at that time and though it's super awesome, I just can't get into it anymore. After a year or so, I don't think I can ever jump back to the series, there's so many darn books! I'll just wait for the movies to come out.

    Merry Christmas, Brandee! Luv ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Well, I hope the movies do justice for the books, Braine. I almost gave up on this series when Bloodlines was released...but I've been glad I didn't. :)

      Merry Christmas to you, Braine! <3

      Delete
  3. Oh very nice review! I have yet to read this one myself, mostly since people keep mentioning this somewhat foreseeable cliffhanger, yet I can't handle cliffhangers that come with a long wait til the next book! So since I know about this one, I am trying to hold off for a tiny while, but am close to the breaking point! Adrian's POV is one of those causing factors! Glad to hear this one was incredible! And again, great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica! Yeah, I was anticipating an ending like we got after reading the VA books but I just can't seem to NOT read these even if I do have a long wait in between. :) I know what you mean though - sometimes I wait until closer to the release of the next book so I don't have to wait and wonder.

      Merry Christmas, Jessica!

      Delete
  4. I sort of gave up on this series after Indigo Spell. I thought it was much better than the first two, but I just didn't love it. Everyone seems to be loving this installment, so I will probably give it a go at some point.
    Great review, Brandee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the series gets better and better, Andrea. I almost gave up after Bloodlines. :) But I'm really enjoying the emotional growth and maturity Sydney and Adrian are undergoing. I think this element wasn't as present in the first VA books. Anyway, I'm glad I didn't give up on them.

      Thanks and have a very Merry Christmas, Andrea!!

      Delete

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??