Monday, March 17, 2014

**Blogger 'Duel' Review ~ Rock Chick ~ Kristen Ashley**


Rock Chick (Rock Chick, #1)
Back in January, my pal Robyn (@Robgirlbooks) decided it'd be fun to place a wager on the outcome of the Super Bowl, since it was Seattle vs Denver. (because she lives in Washington and I live in Colorado) This is despite the fact that Robyn is really more of a sports-themed movie and/or book lover than an actual football fan. And despite the fact that, even though I'm from Texas, I pretty much watch football replays from one eye nowadays...because it enables me to read while sitting with the hubs during football games. :) Anyway, IF the Seahawks won (which the did - in an embarrassingly sound fashion, I might add) I had to gift her a book set in Colorado. And IF Denver won (which, sadly, they did NOT), she'd gift me a book set in Washington. We all know the outcome of that game. So I got to pick a book to gift - and since Robyn already had J.A. Huss' books ;) I picked Rock Chick by Kristen Ashley.

By the way, I MUST thank Andrea @The Bookish Babe, for all her glowing reviews of this series. I'd been wanting to read it forever because of those reviews, so it was the perfect book to give to Robyn and we decided to do a buddy-read and 'duel' review. :)

Synopsis
Indy Savage, cop's daughter, rock chick and used bookstore owner, has been in love with Lee Nightingale, once bad boy, now the man behind Nightingale Investigations, since she was five years old. No matter what ingenious schemes Indy used to capture his attention, Lee never showed an interest and Indy finally gave up. Now Indy's employee, Rosie, has lost a bag of diamonds and bad guys are shooting at him. When Indy gets involved, Lee is forced to help. Complicating matters, Lee has decided he's interested, Indy's decided she's not. But she can't seem to keep Lee out of her life when she's repeatedly stun gunned, kidnapped and there are car bombs exploding (not to mention she's finding dead bodies).

Indy's best bet is to solve the mystery of the diamonds before Lee. Lee's challenge is to keep Indy alive and, at the same time, win back her heart.


***
My first thought once I finished Rock Chick was that this book was SO.MUCH.FUN!! I really needed a fun read coming off an extremely emotional one. Indy and Lee and all the other quirky characters were exactly what I needed. Rock Chick has everything...great characters, lots of action, mystery, and HOT guys! I am sooo glad I finally got to read this.

Robyn: What did you like about Indy when you first meet her in Rock Chick?

I liked that she made coffee for herself first even though it wasn't her apartment or her coffee. That's my kind of girl. 

Me: Hmm, when I first met her...I loved that her mouth had gotten her into trouble. And that she couldn't do anything in the morning before she brushed her teeth and had coffee.

Honestly, I want to BE Indy! I have a major girl-crush. :)

I have a new book boyfriend in Lee. He waited forever to make a move on Indy and when he finally does...oh my. I loved Tex and his crazy-assed-ness. The man hasn't left his block in 20 years and now he can't wait to see what kind of trouble he can get into with Indy. *grin*

Who were some of your favorite characters and why?

I'm crushing on Indy's life. She has the coolest friends even when they stalk her answering machine for "sex with Lee" updates. And I so want to work at her bookstore. I can make coffee and cuss out the machine as good as Tex. Lee is a total hottie, but I love Tex the most. He never treated Indy like she was a beautiful hot mess the way the rest of the men did. He wasn't invisible to Indy and his eccentric/insane way about him never phased her. My second favorite would be Eddie because I'm mad for a guy who loves his best friend more than the love of his life. I really really can't wait to read his story!

Were you surprised the first time you laughed your butt off reading Rock Chick? The tone was light from the beginning, but then Kristen Ashley made me laugh out loud. I have an author crush on her.


Oh yeah...."have you done it?" That was hysterical! And I liked that it took them some time to get there. I mean, Indy'd been waiting an awfully long time anyway. So what was a little longer?!?

Tex was pretty wonderful. And you're right...he did treat her differently than any of the other men. (except for Mr. Kumar) Do you think it was Indy's complete and total acceptance of him that brought him off his block? I liked that about Indy...she accepted everyone for who they are. She may throw you down in a food fight but she accepted you. ;) And Eddie was just...*swoon* He and his provocative tactileness. ;) I giggled (and probably blushed) when he'd touch Indy right in front of Lee. Just so she'd know she had options *ha* I'm really looking forward to his story, too. 

I was surprised when I first laughed...and I think it was on page 3 or something like that. The tone was light (which I was in desperate need of at the time) and I laughed and laughed throughout the book. I'm still giggling at inappropriate times and having to explain to James or the kids...Oh, there was this time in Rock Chick... They're rolling their eyes at me at this point. *ha* Yeah, I have a total crush on Kristen Ashley too! ;) 

What did you think about the music? I loved how Indy had clothes that had concert memories and she always knew just the song for whatever the mood. Of course, it helped that Indy's music is my music - or at least the music I grew up listening to. ;) I can still see her cruising in Tex's El Camino with her music blaring! (I'll have to look up the song because I can't remember off the top of my head!)

You are so right about how Indy accepts people the way they are. I also liked that she couldn't help but flirt with other guys. Poor Lee.

The music was fun and so were her shirts! Her fashion sense made me a little dizzy sometimes, but I loved the scene in Tex's car when she needed an escape. 

My family ask me what I'm laughing at too when I suddenly burst out in giggles. I tried explaining a few of my favorite scenes. They humored me. 

Was there anything in the story that brought you to a stop, not in a good way? I had trouble believing two adults who frequently dated other people would not have the sex talk with each other, at least ask about contraceptives, maybe ask when either last had a physical. And the condom scene in the grocery store was funny, but I couldn't help thinking it was more fitting to a younger woman. Then again maybe not everyone's mom included a "favorite type of condom" tangent in the big puberty sex talk. 

I loved that she automatically flirted too! And that girl has it down to a science. *ha* Poor Lee, indeed. 

Her fashion sense in general was over the top for me - an outfit to match the restaurant of the night, or theme of the event - but then I don't have much fashion sense, so maybe I'm just jealous! :) I actually loved her for it!

My family is humoring me as well. They do that a lot. :) I've told James there are a few new places we need to go to downtown. And I want to see if there really is a bookstore where Indy's bookstore is. I'll let you know. Oh, I was reading to Sky the part about Kevster when he saved Rosie's 'garden'...she wanted to know what the big deal was. I had to remind her that this book was written before it was legal! *hahaha*

Robyn, I definitely fall into the category of having a mom who did not include the "favorite type of condom" tangent during the sex talk. Actually, I don't remember a sex talk at all. And since Indy was raised by her dad??? Well, I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt. Plus, she was under all that stress. ;) I think I was a little taken aback with the situations Indy got herself into at first - she does get herself into some unbelievable situations - but then I let go because that was part of the fun with Indy.

So shall I make us appointments for Tall Grass Spa for when you're here?!? ;) I swear it was so much fun reading about Indy's antics in my backyard. Anyway, when are we reading Rock Chick Rescue?!?

I had the best time reading Rock Chick with you! I usually never read the teaser for the next novel, but I wanted more immediately. Then I discover we get Eddie's story next, Eddie with the traveling fingers and sexy shades. When are we going to read the next one? 

Oh, and I guess a widower cop might not go on and on about French ticklers and ribbed for her pleasure condoms. Go figure.

I forgot to ask you the best friend's brother question...Where are these girls with hot brothers? And do you have any tricks to make best friends real quick? Every single best friend I ever had growing up had the worst brothers ever! 

Honey, I never had girlfriends with hot brothers...so I have no idea where they are. I had the shit little brother. ;)  I do not have any tricks for making best friends quick either. (unless you count stalking authors ;) Oh, and we're definitely reading Rock Chick Rescue in April! 



24 comments:

  1. LOL! I had the best time reading this book with you. This is my first buddy read and I can't wait to do it again! Rock Chick is definitely 5 bookworms...so unputdownable!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too, Robyn!! And I'm sooo looking forward to the next one...and the next one... ;)

      Delete
  2. This was so much FUN to read! You ladies had me smiling so hard and wanting to reread Rock Chick.
    The series really can be over the top, I know, but I just went with it. Those crazy Rock Chicks and the Hot Bunch had me laughing and hard core swoon. And yes, I want to be Indy too(but not so much with the clothes obsession). And Lee...he's my second favorite guy, just wait until you get to know LUKE STARK. And Eddie! I adore him.
    Oh Tex, I loved him too. You get a lot of Tex in the next two books. But just wait, Daisy and Shirleen, who you'll get to know in book two, are awesome!

    Thanks for such a fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea! I'm glad you enjoyed the post. THANK YOU for singing the praises of this series. :) If Lee is your second favorite guy, I can't wait to meet Luke! Oh man!! I'm really looking forward to them all. :)

      Delete
  3. Super fun duel ladies! I don't think I'll be reading this series anytime soon however, whatever misconceptions I have about this series was wrong. I know there's angst but I wan't expecting it to be funny... it sounds like it is funny in some parts. Looking forward to more review duels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, Braine. You'll be laughing your ass off while reading this!! Some of it is a little over the top, like Andrea said, but I just let go and enjoyed. :)

      Delete
  4. YAY for another Duel review, Brandee :) I still haven't finished my review of Fearsome *sighs* I think it's partly because we lost our e-mails - that's totally my story and I'm sticking to it :)

    This review is really great! A story that seems to be right up my alley, and yours and Robyn's back and forth is awesome :)

    I hope you had a wonderful weekend, Brandee! I miss you!! *BIG HUGS*

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the review, Lexxie. You'll love the book! ;) No worries about Fearsome...we had troubles from the get-go with it. Oh well... ;)

      I'm missing you!! *BIG HUGS*

      Delete
  5. Well, that has me sold...off to pick up Rock Chick! Thanks ladies :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. yay for fun new reads! Andrea does tend to have that effect :D I been wanting to read this one for a while as well! ugh I will need to make a lot of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Andrea is responsible for MANY books on my ereader, Lily. :) I really needed this fun read after a particularly emotional one. I can't say enough good things about it. It's awesome!

      Delete
  7. Fun double review! I have some Kristen Ashley just not got around to reading . You made me wanna throw it up the pile near the top. I like the fact there is a character named Mr Kumar. HA! The synopsis of stun guns, car bombs and diamonds. HA! Sounds like a read after a sad story to kick the emotions back where they should be :D

    Great posting!

    Mich

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mich! I do hope you throw it near the top. You won't be sorry! :) It's some serious fun!!

      Delete
  8. I just spied these at my local library can they be read stand alone? Or do you have to read in order.

    :D

    Mich

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great discussion! I have these on my list and now between Andrea's gushing and your glowing review, I really am dying to get to these books. I gotta get to them soon, they sound fun!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  10. The light tone and funny moments make this sound really fun, I need to check them out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was exactly what I needed after a seriously intense and emotional read, Brandi! :)

      Delete
  11. Awesome dual review girls!! I KNOW I would love this book... (You know I'm on a rocker binge right now Brandee) Indy and Lee sound like great characters and I like how witty and fun this book sounds!! I'm gunna have to get it, huh??

    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Naomi!! And yes, you'll love this book. You'll just have to break down and get it. ;)

      Delete
  12. I remember when you guys made this bet, lol! Though your team lost, Brandee, an upside is you got to share a fun read with Robyn and do another awesome duel review (which I'm lovin' by the way!). :) The title grabbed me right away - Rock Chick? That's me! ;) You guys made this a fun review to read, and I'm looking forward to the book, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Jennifer! I will have to say that I'm absolutely 100% OK with the Broncos having lost! ;) Rock Chick is so much fun...like pee your pants funny fun! :)

      Delete

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??