Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Audio Review ~ Primal Law ~ J.D. Tyler

Primal Law (Alpha Pack #1)Primal Law
Alpha Pack #1
Narrated by: Kirsten Potter
Release Date: February 27, 2012
Genre: Adult, Paranormal Romance
Source: Audible
Rating: 3.5 Bookworms

Synopsis
After a massacre decimates half his team and leaves him crippled, Jaxon Law must relearn how to fight--and battle the anger and guilt threatening to overwhelm him. But when he rescues a beautiful woman who awakens his primal instincts, Jax is unprepared for the dangers that lie ahead.

On the run from her employer, brilliant lab assistant Kira Locke has evidence that leads that Alpha Pack on a hunt for someone targeting human civilians with Psy abilities. And as Jax and Kira circle both the killer and each other, Jax will have to decide if the deep connection he feels with Kira is worth breaking the ultimate shifter rule--because bonding with Kira means putting his abilities at risk, and they might be the only tools he has to keep his mate alive.




Primal Law had been on my TBR for quite awhile. When I found that Kirsten Potter narrated the audio version, I decided to see how one of my favorite narrators of HR did with a paranormal. 

As far as the narration goes, Potter was excellent. I enjoyed hearing her say "oh shit!" every bit as much as hearing her say "God's teeth". :) But the story wasn't quite as enjoyable as the HR's she's done.

Primal Law was a great introduction to the Alpha Pack series. We meet a group of guys, once SEALs, who were attached and turned into shifters while serving in Afghanistan. Now they're an elite group, with Psy-abilities, who hunt down rogue paranormals.

While on a weekend of R&R, Jax happens upon Kira, when she's being chased by men with guns. His need to protect her only grows as the pack takes her under their protection. Of course, it's not only protectiveness Jax beings to feel towards her.

Kira has been working for a company that does medical research for several years. But recently, she's become suspicious of what they're really researching. Her inquisitiveness leads to men chasing her with guns and into the arms of a man she's watched shift into a wolf.

The Alpha Pack takes Kira into their compound where she meets the entire team along with several other supernaturals. While there, we see she's nurturing as well as curious, and she's open-minded about what she's seeing and learning. We learn that Jax carries a lot of guilt on his shoulders over the attack on his team. His perceived role in the attack is holding him back in many ways. But he's strong and very loyal to his pack. I enjoyed watching as Jax and Kira got better acquainted and their connection grew. I also liked Tyler's spin on mates and how their bond affects their abilities.

Primal Law is also loaded with a mystery (the overarching plot arc) and lots of suspense. Despite these elements keeping my earbuds in my ears, there wasn't the pull to be listening every chance I had. I can't really explain why that was. I liked all the characters and look forward to knowing them better - and I'm anxious to understand what Kira's former company is up to - but something was missing for me. Maybe I would have liked more character development for Jax and Kira.

However, I will continue this series and it will be in audio. The full line-up of supernaturals, some with extra abilities, on top of the action and suspense created in solving the mystery has me excited even if this first installment didn't blow me away.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??