Friday, February 12, 2016

Brandee's Bookish Babble #13 ~ Series Endings, Is This Really Goodbye?


Welcome to Brandee's Bookish Babble. There are many, many similar posts to this one - but basically I wanted a place to discuss bookish and/or blogging stuff and I needed a title. :) I hope you enjoy!


***

Since I've made it a mission to travel to the terminus for the many series that I'm woefully behind in AND have read reviews of some series ending books, I got to wondering... Is it better that the ending is completely satisfying or would it be easier if it weren't? That may sound like a ridiculous question. I mean, of course we want the end of a beloved series to leave us satisfied. But does it make it easier to say goodbye if it's not? And can an author really ever satisfy every reader??

I can think of one series in particular whose ending wasn't quite what I would have liked. Oh, all the loose ends were tied up except for one - and it was a doozy. I have chosen to believe things with that plot thread ended how I wanted it to end. And I know tehre were extenuating circumstances with the publisher causing this author to have to end the series before she was ready to. However, I do think it made for an easier goodbye with these characters whom I'd grown to love.

On the flip side, there's another series that comes to mind where everything tied up just how I dreamed it would - but I was left wanting more. I wanted to know what happened after these characters got their HEA...did they live a mundane life or did they find themselves fighting the big baddies after getting the kids to bed?

And then there are those series ending books that split their readership - half love the ending and half hate it. Are the haters hating because they just can't say goodbye?

I don't know which way I prefer. I'll get back to y'all once I finish up a few more series. *ha* How do y'all feel about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??