Friday, March 11, 2016

Review ~ Real ~ Katy Evans

Real (Real, #1)Real by Katy Evans
Real #1
Release Date: April 8, 2013
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary Romance
Source: Library
Rating: 3.5 Bookworms
Challenges: #ShelfLove, #TakingControlTBR
Goodreads

Synopsis
A fallen boxer.
A woman with a broken dream.
A competition...

He even makes me forget my name. One night was all it took, and I forgot everything and anything except the sexy fighter in the ring who sets my mind ablaze and my body on fire with wanting...

Remington Tate is the strongest, most confusing man I've ever met in my life.

He's the star of the dangerous underground fighting circuit, and I'm drawn to him as I've never been drawn to anything in my life. I forget who I am, what I want, with just one look from him. When he's near, I need to remind myself that I am strong--but he is stronger. And now it's my job to keep his body working like a perfect machine, his taut muscles primed and ready to break the bones of his next opponents...

But the one he's most threatening to, now, is me.

I want him. I want him without fear. Without reservations.

If only I knew for sure what it is that he wants from me?





I'm late, as usual, to the Katy Evans party. And, as usual, I'm happy to have finally arrived. ;) With Real, Evans released an impressive debut. The writing could have been a little tighter - something I'm sure has been taken care of since Brooke and Remy were introduced - but what impressed me the most was Evans' ability to convey such incredibly powerful emotions.

When Brooke's and Remy's eyes meet, the Earth literally moved. The chemistry between them was visceral. When Remy ends up offering Brooke a job, she begins to think the sparks she felt were all on her end. But as they spend time together, training, getting to know one another, it becomes obvious that the attraction is mutual.

Remy, however, tries to keep Brooke at arm's length. He's determined she really know him before they enter into a relationship beyond athlete/trainer. Remy has secrets - secrets he believes will scare Brooke away. Brooke, though, feels so intensely, she believes nothing could keep them apart.

The circumstances Evans created in both Remy's and Brooke's lives that equaled loss - a loss so shattering, it affected who they each were and also enabled them to have an understanding of each other that no one else could. Their feelings for one another were so acute, their bodies literally reacted to one another when they were near. The source of the conflict between them was set into motion because of the primal way they felt for one another. That Evans chose to use what she did as Remy's secret made the story that much more impacting. 

The push and pull of the sexual tension was something I felt could have been tighter. While the description of how potent Brooke's feelings for Remy were was incredibly conveyed, at some point I tired of the tension. I also felt that the resolution to one element of the conflict was too easily achieved. And Brooke's actions following the other part of the resolution - even though she didn't understand everything at the time - felt a little like a cop out. 

Those things aside, the story was affecting. Not only did Evans create a couple to root for but she surrounded them with characters who were genuine and added depth - particularly Riley and Pete. I'm eager to continue the series to ensure Brooke and Remy found their real.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??